Saturday, April 9, 2011

The opener, continued (much later)

The Twi-Fi kicked out on me as the stadium filled, and I never got it back. Quit trying after a while. I don't know if it was overwhelmed, but it sure doesn't encourage me to bring the iPad again.

Then ... well, not to get too detailed, but my wife and I stayed overnight at a suburban hotel (wedding to attend Saturday morning), and the hotel was not iPad friendly. I wound up declaring a cyberholiday for myself. That is probably healthy in some ways, but it's horrible for a blogger's devoted audience.

Anyway, belated thoughts on the opener:

* We had a pregame that included a lengthy welcoming ovation for Tsuyoshi Nishioka, followed by a flag-raising by a survivor of the Bataan Death March (complete with a explanation of what that means),followed by a moment of silence for the victims of the Japanese earthquake/tsunami. Emotional whiplash: We like the Japanese, we hate the Japanese, we like the Japanese.

* Carl Pavano had a butt-ugly first-inning and even after two innings had barely thrown more strikes than balls. But he found his groove. Helped that he was facing Oakland -- that's not a strong lineup -- but he got the batters he faced out.

*Didn't understand what Oakland manager Bob Geren was doing in the bottom of the eighth. Yes, Brett Anderson had been brilliant for seven innings. Geren had Brian Fuentes warming up, and if Geren was going to let Anderson face Jason Kubel-Denard Span-Joe Mauer-Justin Morneau with the game on the line, why was he warming Fuentes?

* I thought a lot about the Cuddyer Principle while watching Luke Hughes play second base. He made the routine plays, which is the minimum requirement. No double plays to turn. Couldn't quite make the play on a ball hit up the middle in the ninth off Joe Nathan, and was it a play that could/should have been made? I don't know.

No comments:

Post a Comment