Monday, June 11, 2018

Awaiting Joe Mauer

The Twins announced Sunday that Joe Mauer, who last played May 18, will begin a rehab assignment  today with their Triple A affiliate. If all goes well, they apparently envision a two-day stint: DH today, first base Tuesday, rejoin the team Wednesday in Detroit.

That's the best-case scenario. When it comes to Mauer's health, best case is a rarity, and we'll see how things actually transpire.

I view Mauer's return with some trepidation. Not so much about him in the lineup; I remain convinced that this is a better team with Joe Mauer than without. I fret, instead, about Mauer himself. He has had some severe brain injuries, and that this occurrence of symptoms appears to have come without an actual blow to the head strikes me as worrisome.

Coming into the season, I was relatively confident that Mauer would play beyond 2018. I am less confident of that today.

I want Joe Mauer and his thoroughly professional example in the Twins lineup. But more than that, I want Joe Mauer to have a good life beyond his playing career. I'm hardly a neurosurgeon, but it's difficult for me to see how playing helps that latter goal.

No comments:

Post a Comment