Thursday, January 1, 2015

Happy New Year

I can't say, as 2015 opens, that I am particularly optimistic about the Twins chances -- or direction -- this season.

The best I can realistically hope for is that it becomes the bridge season -- the transition to a team built around Byron Buxton and Miguel Sano -- that 2014 was supposed to be. Injuries wrecked that hope for 2014. Now both megaprospects have to regain their status after a lost year.

I suspect this corner of the Internet will be more critical of the Twins management in 2015 than it has been in recent years. This is not a resolution so much as a growing sense that they've failed to keep up with the changes in the game. I'd like to be proven wrong on that, but some of the most significant moves they've made this offseason are simply dismaying to those of us who accept the insights of sabermetrics.

If there is a New Year's resolution in this, I suppose it's that I won't let another lousy record by my favorite team ruin the 2015 season for me. I'm willing to be pleasantly surprised, but I'm not expecting much.

No comments:

Post a Comment