Tuesday, January 21, 2014

A blogger's round number

This post is No. 2,000 since I started blogging here on May 14, 2009, less than five years ago. As I've said before, I may not be good, but I am prolific.

The big round number is as good a hook for a navel-gazing post as any. I have pared down the links on the right siderail, excising several dormant Free Press blogs and one of the AL Central blogs that simply wasn't getting updated. Also axed was a Twins blog (Twinkie Town) I seldom visit and even less seldom get anything out of. The rail links are selected as a means of easing my perusal of the Web, and I want to keep them tidy, tight and up-to-date.

As for the future of this blog ... steady as she goes. Two Twins bloggers I hold in esteem, Aaron Gleeman and Seth Stohs, occasionally make noises about abandoning the field. I understand that; blogging frequently and well is a time-consuming endeavor, and not necessarily financially lucrative.

My take on it is this: As long as the rewards are worth the effort, you keep going. (This is true of any endeavor, not merely blogging, and the rewards don't have to be monetary.) I get enough out of blogging about baseball in general and the Twins in particular to continue putting something into it. Someday I may decide I have something better to do with the time. That day has not arrived.

6 comments:

  1. I hope that day never arrives ... this is a must-visit site for me every day, even if I don't always agree with the blogger! But Ed, you always make me think and there are times (Game 163 from 2009, for example, or the White Sox psychologically eliminated in 2010) when you remind me why I love the sport so much. Here's to the next 2,000!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on reaching this milestone. I found your blog through Gleeman's, and I check it out almost daily. I enjoy reading your posts, and find them to be thoughtful and informative. I also like the Sunday Funnies and Pic of the Week.

    Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely understand what you're saying, Ed. This time of year is when we always have to decide whether to pay our hosting fees for Knuckleballs. I feel pretty much exactly like you do. I don't do it for any kind of monetary gain, since we don't accept advertising, so it's all about the level of enjoyment we get out of writing. These days, it's a close call for me, to be honest.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will be a suckup too. I also visit everyday and enjoy your insights. So I hope you stay with it along with Seth, Aaron, and Jim Cricket.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Daily reader here too. Keep up the great job!

    MC

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just wanted to say that I read you almost daily, and always go back to catch up with every post if I don't get here each day. I love your writing and I think you have a great feel for the game and the Twins organization.

    ReplyDelete