Monday, December 5, 2011

The return of Matt Capps

Matt Capps: Back for
another season, at least.
Let the complaining begin: The word all over the Internet Monday evening was that the Twins and Matt Capps had reached a contract agreement, supposedly one year plus an option. No official announcement; that probably will come after Capps passes a physical.

I'll let this post stand as my opinion on bringing Capps back. I think he'll bounce back in 2012 -- at least if Ron Gardenhire can choke back the impulse to use him for multiple innings on consecutive days, which is where I suspect Capps' forearm tendinitis originated.

The only real issue here (assuming the price was right, and the Twins certainly wouldn't have done the deal if the price wasn't in their range) is that they're losing out on a compensatory draft pick, and as I understand the new labor agreement, that pick isn't going to be there if he leaves as a free agent after 2012 or 2013.

No comments:

Post a Comment