Sunday, January 27, 2019

The Sunday Funnies

As was true of many major leaguers during World War I, Rabbit Maranville left baseball during the 1918 season to join the military -- in his case, the Navy, where he served as a gunner on the USS Pennsylvania.

On November 10, 1918, Rabbit told his shipmates that they would get big news the next day. "Everyone kept asking me what the big news was going to be," he remembered. "I said, 'Wait until tomorrow; I will tell you then.' At 6:30 the next morning we got word that the armistice had been signed. That afternoon I was called in to the captain's quarters. The captain said to me, 'How is it you knew the armistice was going to be signed today? Who gave you that information?' I said, 'I didn't know anything about the armistice being signed. The reason I said the big day is tomorrow and they would hear great news is that today is my birthday.'"

No comments:

Post a Comment