Sunday, December 20, 2015

The Sunday Funnies

The 100th anniversary of Frank Sinatra's birth was last weekend, so I missed the opportunity to peg this story. But we'll do it a week late:

Sinatra had season tickets to the Dodgers in Los Angeles when Leo Durocher, a long time pal of his, was coaching under Walt Alston. His box, according to Durocher, was about ten feet from where Durocher liked to stand. Leo:

"On this particular night, we had been accusing the Milwaukee pitcher, Lou Burdette, of throwing spitters, and the umpires -- who knew Burdette was throwing spitters and also knew that they weren't going to do anything about it -- had ordered us to shut up.

"From ten feet behind me a voice which sounded remarkably like mine hollered, 'Why don't you give him a bucket of water?'

"The umpire spun around and pointed at me. 'That will be enough out of you.'

"Who me? I didn't say nothing!

"A couple of pitches later: 'Send for the lifeguards! There's a man drowning out there!'

"This time the mask came off. 'I'm not warning you again, Durocher!'

"A few minutes later, we're out on the field, our pitcher winds up and Frank yells, 'Stick it in his ear!'

"I'm out of the game, and Frank is on the floor, laughing."

No comments:

Post a Comment