Monday, June 4, 2018

Notes from the weekend

Well, that Cleveland series worked out pretty well for the Twins. They went from being at risk of being buried to pulling within 3.5 games of the Tribe by winning the last three games of the four-game set.

Eddie Rosario ... well, what can one say? His three-homer game Sunday raised his slugging percentage 42 points, and I don't believe any of the homers came on pitches in the strike zone. The Twins have had some notable bad-ball hitters in my lifetime -- Kirby Puckett and Tony Oliva most prominent -- but I don't think I've seen anything like this.

In my best glass-half-empty mode, I will note here that Ryan Pressly and Addison Reed have become disturbingly gopher-ball prone. Pressly in particular has been worked hard -- at his current rate of usage, he would set the American League record for games pitched, established by "Iron" Mike Marshall during his brief tenure with the Twins.

Both have histories of allowing long balls, so it's not as if this is unexpected.

---

The Twins have an off day on the field today, but it's the biggest day for the scouting department as the amateur draft begins. I haven't posted about the draft this year nearly as much as I usually do, in large part because the Twins pick 20th. That's pretty far down the list to get revved up about mock drafts.

The idea seems to be, however, that this year's pool is heavy with college pitchers, and the mock drafts I've looked at suggest that's what the Twins are likely to take.

No comments:

Post a Comment