Saturday, March 24, 2018

No suspension for Sano

MLB issued its rulings in a pair of off-field behavior investigations Friday. Steven Wright, Boston pitcher, got a 15-game suspension. Miguel Sano, Twins third baseman/slugger, gets nothing.

I wouldn't say that MLB cleared Sano. The accusation by a freelance photographer was made years after the fact, there was no police report, and, says the MLB statement, witness accounts were "inconsistent and conflicting."

Not that my opinion matters much on this, but I believe the woman, in part because the reaction to her going public from some of Sano's current and former teammates suggested that they weren't surprised and in part because of other things I've heard and read of his behavior. I expected a suspension for him, and while I understand the rationale for doing nothing, I'm a bit disappointed that there isn't.

But Sano would do well to watch his step from now on. He's not likely to get the benefit of the doubt in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment