Wednesday, July 6, 2016

Late night: Twins 11, Athletics 4

Box score here

Game story here.

Tuesday's game didn't start until almost 10 p.m., thanks to a wave of storms and the whims of the schedule, which has Oakland in Minnesota only the once and a get-away nooner set for today (and no TV).

While there was no end to the social media griping about the lengthy delay, there was never any serious question -- the players, umpires, management and broadcast outlets wanted to get this one in. A doubleheader today would have made travel difficult for both clubs (and the forecast is for more humidity and storms).

For those who stayed up to watch -- I was working, so that wasn't an issue for me -- it was worth the while. Tommy Milone had his best start of the season -- six innings, one run -- Kennys Vargas and Max Kepler hit back to back homers, Miguel Sano homered to the opposite field, and newly minted All Star Eduardo Nunez had a pair of hits.

The performances of Vargas, Sano and Nunez particularly struck me because of a voice mail I found on my office phone when I arrived Tuesday, a fellow who thinks I should write about how the Twins are playing too many Latin players and are too eager to trade away the white guys "who can speak." No, I don't think I'm going to make that argument. Not even close.

1 comment:

  1. I hope the Rangers were watching Santana pitch tonight. . . . and that Ryan pulls the trigger and sells high.

    ReplyDelete