Sunday, June 8, 2014

Pic of the Week

Yogi Berra, who served on a Navy destroyer in the
English Channel during the D-Day invasion, was
presented with a medal and a quilt during a ceremony
Friday at the Yogi Berra Museum in Montclair, N.J.
Friday was the 70th anniversary of D-Day.

Yogi Berra is 93 now and attended Friday's ceremony honoring his small part in D-Day in a wheelchair.

I've linked before to this story about Berra and D-Day. He's the one Hall of Famer I know of who took part in the invasion. And all those guys -- infantry, sailors, aviators -- deserve credit and honor.

Berra's playing career was well past when I started paying attention to baseball. My real first memory of him is as the manager of the 1973 "You Gotta Believe" Mets, who won an improbable pennant and took the Mustache Gang A's to seven games in the World Series. Tom Seaver at the peak of his powers, Willie Mays at the end of his.

It suddenly occurred to me as I looked at the photos from Friday's event: I'm older now than Berra was when he skippered the Mets to that Series. It was a long time ago.


No comments:

Post a Comment