Thursday, April 5, 2012

On the new Miami park

Miami starter Josh Johnson throws the first pitch
in his team's new stadium.
I watched Wednesday's U.S. opener expecting to dislike the new stadium in Miami.

I didn't.

It helped that the Marlins didn't hit any homers, which meant that the gaudy "home run sculpture" sat still all game.

It helped that ESPN didn't focus on the aquarium built into the wall behind home plate. It helped that the Marlins wore what figures to be their most subdued uniform, white with minimum piping. Wait 'til they break out their orange jerseys ...

The Fish did have women in Brazilian dancer outfits accompany the starters during the pregame introductions. For an operation apparently bent on bad taste, that was as bad as it got.

I didn't dislike the new park. But it's early.

1 comment:

  1. I can't say I was too impressed. But it did have a retractable roof.

    ReplyDelete