Thursday, March 10, 2011

Spring training: Toronto 7, Twins 4

Kent Hrbek and Kirby
Puckett, in their
bobblehead form.
Joe Nathan pitched today, but I didn't see it because I was busy collecting these lovely bobbleheads I won in a drawing.

There's the highlight of the game, right? Well ... yeah.

A few other notes:

Nick Blackburn was unimpressive. Lots of line drives. Two home runs. (The wind was blowing out, but still ...) I found myself wondering if Ron Gardenhire is wondering if he committed too soon to Blackburn in the rotation. And I'm sure he isn't.

Glen Perkins looked good in his one inning of work. So did Phil Dumatrait, who struck out a pair of batters. Eric Hacker didn't; his defense didn't help much, but he had a bunch of 3-2 counts and deserved to give up the two runs he allowed.

Luke Hughes hit a long double. It's still early in camp, but the man keeps getting extra-base hits. I have no idea where they can play him, at least as long as Tsuyoshi Nishioka's at second base. Hughes was at first base today, and the closest thing to a test was a bad throw from Blackburn in the first inning that he kept from becoming an error.

Danny Valencia lived up to the poor-defense label he carried at this time last year. One ball was ruled a hit, another an error, but I expected both plays to be made.

The game was delayed more than an hour by rain. It was a "cold" 65 degrees when it started. I put cold in quotation marks because I know what it's like back home.

With the morning showers, my wife and I made our excursion to Bell Tower Shops today. Tomorrow I intend to see the morning practices. And I'm likely to encounter some other Twins bloggers.

No comments:

Post a Comment