Sunday, April 25, 2010

Nonsense uttered by broadcasters on Saturday

I know it does no good to gripe about the announcers, at least in the sense that it will result in any changes, but every so often I just have to get something off my chest.

Saturday was one such day.

Inanity No. 1
Tim McCarver during the Seattle Mariners-Chicago White Sox game on Fox: "When you look at Ichiro, the first thing you notice are his shoes." Uh, no. I don't think I've ever noticed his shoes. Until now.

Inanity No. 2
Twins radio announcer Dan Gladden, describing Kansas City starter Luke Hochevar: "He's clearly their predominant starting pitcher, their No. 1 guy." No, I think it's Zach Greinke.

Inanity No. 3
Twins TV analysts Bert Blyleven and Ron Coomer pitching Justin Morneau as the best defensive first baseman in the league. He isn't, and won't be as long as Mark Teixiera, Carlos Pena and Kevin Youkilis are in the AL and playing first base. Morneau simply isn't as mobile as those three.

All they do with such homeristic contentions is undermine their credibility.

Inanity No. 4
Blyleven, late in the extra-inning game with the Royals, dismissing the problem of Alex Burnett having warmed up repeatedly in the early innings: "That was two hours ago."

2 comments:

  1. Missing such inanities is one huge benefit of "watching" baseball by real-time simulations on my computer at work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like McCarver and I think he was only trying to liven things up a bit with his comment. You're spot on with Gladden, however. He makes these kind of statements on a regular basis. Blyleven has no credibility because he's such a homer, but he is fun to listen to, I just wish Dick Bremer would call him out on some of his points from time-to-time. You just can't take many of these homer-announcers seriously because they want to preserve their team relationship. It's a little like watching Fox News and expecting to get real news.

    ReplyDelete