Friday, June 27, 2014

The Polanco call-up: Hip hip Jorge!

Jorge Polanco was
used as a pinch-hitter
in the ninth inning
Thursday, drawing
a walk and scoring a run.
The Twins on Thursday morning hustled Jorge Polanco across the country to sit on the bench for their afternoon game in Anaheim. It's quite a jump -- from Florida to California, from the high A ball Florida State League to the American League.

Not that Polanco is likely to stick. Trevor Plouffe is expected to come off the disabled list this weekend, maybe even as soon as today. Polanco got the hurry-up call because


  • Wednesday's injury to Danny Santana left the Twins without a reserve infielder; and
  • Polanco is on the 40-man roster, so the Twins didn't have to waive somebody to get an infielder for a short-term stint.


To make room on the 25-man roster, Yohan Pino was optioned out to Rochester one day after a too-short start. Presumably Sam Deduno will get the ball Monday when that rotation spot comes up again.

As for Polanco: I saw him play several games last year for low-A Cedar Rapids. I'm not convinced he's a shortstop, and I'm quite sure he's not really ready to play in the majors, but I think he's going to have a major league career.

I know this: I like Polanco's future a great deal more than Pedro Florimon's present. I understand why Florimon started Thursday with Polanco in the dugout, but I would 10 times rather see Polanco than Florimon.

No comments:

Post a Comment