Tuesday, April 24, 2012

None of the above

Thirteen walks and 12
strikeouts in 16.1
innings over four starts
is not how Francisco
Liriano wanted to
open his walk year.
On Monday I outlined three options for the Twins to take with Francisco Liriano:

  • Leave him in the rotation;
  • use him in relief;
  • ship him to the minors.

And the Twins chose none of the above.

They're going to use the off day this week to skip Liriano's start. They won't, they say, use him in relief; they will, instead, use side sessions to try to straighten him out.

And then, presumably, they'll start him again.

I can't say that I'm particularly optimistic about this approach, but Ron Gardenhire and Rick Anderson are closer to the situation than I am. As I said Monday, all three of the options I saw had flaws.

Ultimately, it's up to Liriano to save his career.

No comments:

Post a Comment